When it comes to eating a healthy diet, the hardest thing for many is resisting the temptation of delicious desserts that are loaded with extra fat, calories, and sugar. Many think they will have to give up those cookies and cakes and just go without anything. Fortunately, if you know a little bit about what types of foods are healthy, you can actually make your own sweet snacks after dinner that are healthy for you.
Here are 5 Easy Ideas to Try:
1. Fruit & Yogurt Parfait: A fruit and yogurt parfait will satisfy the sweet cravings without a lot of added fat or sugar. Not to mention if you use a yogurt that is low in sugar and has live active cultures it can be good for you too! To make, simply layer your favorite fresh fruits with a no added sugar yogurt of your choice.
2. Frozen Yogurt: Frozen yogurt can be made simply by freezing plain yogurt. If you love ice cream, but want something slightly healthier for you, enjoying a frozen treat may be the perfect thing. As long as the sugar content is not high, it is a good source of calcium and protein.
3. Sugar Free Pudding: This one isn't good for you, but it's not going to destroy your diet either - with less than 100 calories per serving you can enjoy a nice cup of it paired with a strawberry.
4. Frozen Banana Bites: Another great frozen treat is to take a banana, slice it, and then cover it in peanut butter. Roll the banana in crushed nuts and then freeze wrapped in wax paper for 1-2 hours. Don't like nuts? You might enjoy it frozen plain!
5. Baked Apples: This is an easy recipe to make. All you need is an apple that is cored and sliced in half and top it with cinnamon, natural sugar, and your favorite granola topping. Bake it for 10-15 minutes or until the apples are softened. You can also microwave it for 5-6 minutes instead.
Eating healthy doesn't have to mean huge sacrifices. With these easy ideas you can make your own healthy desserts to enjoy as an after dinner treat.